Friday, April 18, 2014

For Eben Human: From childhood I heard stories of the Cape to Rio sailing race around our table tol


I've decided that i need a sabbatical and a new adventure, so in 2011 I'll be traveling ... my way. This blog will keep you updated on my adventures and (hopefully) serve as a source of information For those of you who wish to do the same.
Having light winds for a third day has dropped us down to 3rd, from 1st. Frustrated by the Lack of wind, I joined in on the "navigation team". Hans and I spent some time figuring our the routing software. We realised That We Were aiming to go too far north, and chose a more WESTERLY course. Immediately the boat picked up speed.
For Eben Human: From childhood I heard stories of the Cape to Rio sailing race around our table told about eating. This is certainly where the seed was planted, because from I finished school this is a race that I wanted to participate. This is the first year as worked out and I currently sits on Xtra-Link Cruiser Ocean, five days out of Cape Town.
We have been preparing for the start of 15 Januaurie started. dishwasher detergent india Dale Kushner, our skipper, dishwasher detergent india each one given tasks that his abilities. Ian has a lot of time in preparation out. This made sure that we are one week before the start just more water and we had to load itself onboard. With the start of the race, I had a strange feeling as I used to with my bag in the car when I got to leave the house. Now I drive down the harbor with only the clothes on my back. I came early to the boat to come to the final fittings of the boat download that would stay behind. My family came to greet me with good wishes and a few tears that roll. We are early in the harbor and made the right start. A light breeze, duinings rolling and baking hot sun waiting on us. The conditions were not what I expected, but what a perfect day for sailing. Once we passed Robben Island danger, we could focus minds on the long road to Rio. It was interesting to see different routes to the different yachts smash from the start. Two boats have a similar direction if we are hit we obviously keep the motivation going. We just had them under sail. The first two days we almost always another boat in sight as we had on the commercial shipping route sailed. Our focus was firmly established in the bay behind us, we was slowly away before sailing. Before sunset, the first day felt like any other day sail but the reality of what we attempted hit me. How would my first night at sea? I would soon find out as we voorafbespreekte shifts (two on duty at a time) began. The only lights burning during the night, the three-color atop the mast, small LED lights for when we shift changes and other boats lights on the far horizon. The night shift is an adjustment, 3 hours, and 1.5 hours "on duty" (Leroy and I sometimes stretch to 2.5 hours). It is a big adjustment, but it's dishwasher detergent india easy to shift between a good sleep session to work as she has to do. During a shift I must keep myself awake as Leroy mostly behind the wheel. I then keep an eye out for other ships, admiring the environment (sea, sky and weather) and support him to give water and talking nonsense. Because of the wind direction and our planned rate, we could not from the beginning our spinnaker Hoist your not. We had a good pace was maintained and therefore our after day two. Unfortunately, not nice duining me my set played together, and I ended up feeling stale. In the early morning dishwasher detergent india hours of Day Twe, with no lights to help us see, we have the spinnaker for the first time geheis. Everyone dishwasher detergent india was relieved. By day three, we are in a good rhythm with our case shifts. Unfortunately, little wind and we lay claim to deteriorate. We get regular news about the progress of other boats and could only sit while most of them from North vordeiring makes us good winds in better conditions. However, this is a marathon, so we did not lose hope. By this time Hans and I (we filled more support roles) both had a chance to send the boat while there is still light. This is a great adaptation of the smaller boats I usually go, but a great challenge. The boat's weight (about 8.5 tons) makes the response of the boat very slowly. It's dishwasher detergent india comparable to driving a bus. You have to think ahead about what you want to do. Day four was very exciting. The wind picked up and we have this time when there was light, twice the spinnaker change the best speed out of the boat to get. It was nice to busy themselves with sailing related activities onboard. We ended the day with our first hot meal, just before sunset. There was new life on board! Our supply of fresh food cooked chicken patties and sandwiches lovingly prepared by our mothers did the previous day affected. We began with our planned menu that we

No comments:

Post a Comment