Sunday, May 24, 2015

Quick Navigation Tech Talk Forum Top Site Areas Settings Private Messages Subscriptions Who's Online


Forum Tech Talk Forum Dayton Audio DTA-2 Digital Amp Issues... If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
I purchased two Dayton DTA-2 (#300-385) cream gloss kitchen ideas amps to turn into dedicated headphone amplifiers for work. (one for me, one for a friend). I soldered them as instructed (using the capacitors across the terminals), wrapped the speaker output wires one time around the ferrite core, and then into a 3.5mm headphone jack, combining the L- and R-. I also purchased the 2amp 12v power supply recommended by Parts-Express. On the first one I built, there was an incredible amount of noise, at a slight but very noticable audible level. So I have this white noise hissing that does not change with the amplifier or the sources volume. It is there whether I have my source equipment plugged into the unit or not. On the second one I built, I chose to wire L+, L-, and R+ to see if combining the two -'s was a bad idea and would make a difference. It did not. I attached the R- and the imaging cream gloss kitchen ideas got much better, but the noise was still very prominent, and very much identical to the first build. Has anyone else had a similar issue, and if so, what did you do to resolve it? Thanks in advance!
The T-amps you have utilized are dual-bridged type amplifiers, and you should not allow the - connections to see each other, or the amp will be noisy and likely die at a young age. Not a good idea! Wolf
"Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith "We don't just make a crossover, we make a statement!" - Lawrence cream gloss kitchen ideas Fishburne for Cadillac *InDIYana 2015 event* cream gloss kitchen ideas Photobucket pages: http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102
I don't know what price point you want to pay and how good a headphone amp you need, (if your headphones don't cost $150 ignore this). Bottlehead Labs.coms has a great little one tube headphone amp kit that's would be outstanding at 5 times the price.
Those DTA-2 amps are NOT meant to be used for headphones. No Class-D (or class-T) cream gloss kitchen ideas amplifier should ever be used for this purpose. Additionally, the DTA-2 amps require cream gloss kitchen ideas a differential speaker load, as versus the single-ended load that headphones present. Basically, this a very wrong amplifier for the intended purpose. cream gloss kitchen ideas If you want to know the nitty-gritty technical details as to why this won't work, I can go into, but trust me - you're much better off returning those amps and purchasing a headphone specific amplifier. Do a search for "headphone amp" in the PE search engine and enjoy.
Thank you very much for your replies. I thought an amp was an amp. I never knew a unique situation existed like this, so that is why I performed no research before buying them. I saw the price, and I saw the approval ratings and went nuts. For the record I run Grado SR225 and AudioTechnica ATH-M50s. I cannot return the amps because cream gloss kitchen ideas they have been all soldered on and generally molested. My goal was to have a cheaaaaap cream gloss kitchen ideas amp that someone can steal from work and I not cry if I left over night. Sadly, I still get to cry. Thanks again!
I would be interested in buying one maybe both from you if your trying to recoup some $. PM me if your interested.
Quick Navigation Tech Talk Forum Top Site Areas Settings Private Messages Subscriptions Who's Online Search Forums Forums Home Forums Tech Talk Forum Speaker Project Gallery Commercial Audio System Integrator Installers and Contractors Pro Audio / Live Sound Reinforcement Free Classifieds cream gloss kitchen ideas OmniMic Forum Welcome to Tech Talk!
Clearance Center Deal of the Day New Products View Our latest Sales Flyer Prices cream gloss kitchen ideas Effective Through 06/30/15
Home Audio Speakers Professional Audio & Guitar Speakers Car Audio Speakers Speaker Buyouts cream gloss kitchen ideas Measurement & Design Tools Subwoofer Plate Amplifiers Full-Range Plate Amplifiers Crossover Components Cabinet Hardware & Speaker Grill Cloth Speaker Cabinets Subwoofer cream gloss kitchen ideas System Kits Speaker Kits Speaker Repair Parts Speaker Wire

No comments:

Post a Comment